Protest MDEQ’s plans to approve
more hazardous waste in Detroit
Thursday – May 26, 2016 – 4 PM
State of Michigan Cadillac Place & MDEQ Office
3060 West Grand Blvd. Detroit MI 48202
We have a problem in Detroit and Wayne County. It’s called US Ecology (USE), an unlikely name for a company that brags about transporting, treating, and disposing of radioactive, chemical, hazardous and PCB waste. They want to bring ten times the amount of deadly chemicals to their factory on Georgia Street in Detroit, a mere bike ride from Hamtramck. MDEQ sees no problem with bringing all those poisons into Detroit. They have stated that they plan to approve the expansion.
What will this mean for residents of Southeast Michigan?
- USE hauls this toxic mess down the highways and streets into the middle of Detroit. In the event of a spill, the health of the community and the groundwater will be harmed.
Then liquid waste (arsenic, cadmium, cyanide, lead… ) is dumped into the public sewerage system. Our sewers cannot handle industrial wastes. And our drinking water is at risk.
- How much of this toxic brew is dumped? 300.000 gallons a day, every day, Sundays and holidays.
- Some of the solidified hazardous waste is then put back onto trucks and driven out of town for permanent storage in dumps in Wayne County, Michigan and other states.
- What happens with the remaining waste? The rest of it is is stored forever right on Georgia Street.
- Is frack waste coming to Detroit? MDEQ says no. But we have evidence it has come in the past, 1,466 tons of radioactive sand from Pennsylvania between 2011 and 2012 ended up at this facility.
How do we stop the poisoning of Detroit?
- Mayor Duggan, elected officials in Detroit and Wayne County – We appeal to you to consider the public health of Detroiters and put a halt to this madness. Detroit cannot be rebuilt with jobs handling toxins, with children damaged by lead and with the young and old sickened by pollution in the air they breathe. Stop the permit to poison Detroit!
- Elected state officials- Protect Michigan residents and our water supply! Stop the permit!
- Residents and activists: Keep up the fight against the poisoning of Detroit! Demand Clean Water as a Human Right!
Coalition to Oppose the Expansion of US Ecology